Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Letter Writing: Something Greater Than Yourself

Letter writing is an interesting thing. First thought is "...what? it's so slow! *grumble, grumble*". Though in reality, it makes things a lot more personal. It's not just shooting an email or face book chat. It's saying: "I'm going to take time to write and put effort into this relationship because I care about you." That alone is a powerful thing. These simple letters. It seems small but these letters make a bridge we can meet on. A direct connection to our little kiddo(s) wherever they might be. Whatever they're doing we are dropped into their life and culture and vice versa. We are one letter away from our little kiddos anywhere in the world! Isn't that amazing?! I love OurCompassion and wish I lived in Canada right now. They have letter tracking! You can even see when they sent a letter. Amazing!

To be so close, yet so far away, huh?(: I just feel so privileged to have a relationship with my Ivan. To be able to have a relationship with him. To be able to mentor him. To be an answered prayer and a hope bringer. What a wonderful opportunity! I just am SO glad God is using me through this organization. I don't know what to say other than it's such a privilege! To be able to give back what I have been given.

To show you how much letter writing matters here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJTm15UZn-c

This just reinforces the message that OUR LETTERS MATTER! Write to your kid! Become a correspondence sponsor. Be a change for the better. It's absolutely heart breaking that some kids don't get letters at all. Mail call after mail call they wait. Soon they start to ask "why don't my sponsors love me?" and reinforces the lie of poverty. That they "don't matter". Somewhere in the world there is a child that needs you. That needs God's love, His purpose, and hope. All of that is compacted in a single sent letter. 

This organization. What an opportunity. Well I will leave you with this. GO WRITE SOME LETTERS! :D

and here are some of my favorite verses:

"Isaiah 54:13  All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children."


"1 Timothy 4:12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit,[a] in faith, in purity."

Luke 18:15-17 Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel,

    I saw the link to your blog on OurCompassion. I love it so much! I will definitely be following.

    I have a blog as well at hannahproject195.blogspot.com. Feel free to check it out!

    ~Hannah~

    ReplyDelete